Hormones, peer pressure and all the other reasons you no longer recognize the person living in your child’s bedroom. Explore why our middle schoolers seem like strangers – and how we can stay connected to and communicate effectively with our teens. Read more: Finding Normal in the Middle School Years
A Family Center Ask the Experts Talk with Jeff Jay, a clinical interventionist, educator and author. His work has appeared on CNN, the Jane Pauley Show, PBS, Forbes Online and in professional journals. Jeff and Debra Jay have a private practice in Grosse Pointe and are the authors of Love First, a Family’s Guide to Intervention. Read more: Modeling Adulthood: Powerful Methods to Lead By Example
A Family Center Ask the Experts Talk with Nancy Piatek, April 17, 2013.
Are you stressed? Do family and friends tell you need to take action to alleviate stress?
- Learn the sources, symptoms, and consequences of stress.
- Get compelled into action with well-established stress management skills and cognitive restructuring.
- Learn the ability to cope with both short and long term stressful situations.
- Move toward a greater balance, and control in your life.
- Enjoy the positive effects of laughter as the best medicine.
A Family Center Ask the Experts Talk with Debra Jay April 17, 2013.
Many older adults take medications for other than medical reasons.
- Learn how mood-altering prescription drugs can affect older adults.
- Spot the warning signs of medication misuse.
- Develop strategies for medication education.
- Understand the health consequences of medication misuse.
- Help older adults to team up with doctors, pharmacists and other professionals.
A Family Center Ask the Experts Talk with Geralyn DeBoard, April 24, 2013. Helpful, practical tips to increase the likelihood of success for your different learner in the school environment.
- Know and Understand Your Child’s Rights
- Successful Communication
- Focusing on the Positive
- Creating a Supportive Culture
- Find Help and Family Support
A Family Center Ask the Experts Talk with Amy McKenzie, MD, April 24, 2013.
How complex interactions between genetics and environment can help optimize learning. Read more: Hope for Tomorrow: How Biomedical Treatments May Help Children with Developmental Disorders
A Family Center Ask the Experts presentation with Pamela Cronovich, Christine Miller and Melissa Sharp, March 27, 2013. Read more: Kindergarten III: Your Child is Ready – Are You?
A Family Center Ask the Experts Talk with Sean Hogan-Downey, LMSW, LMFT. Brought to you by The Family Center of Grosse Pointe & Harper Woods, The Grosse Pointe Academy Parents Coordinating Council and CARE. Read more: Face-time vs. Facebook: A conversation for Mothers & Daughters
A Family Center Ask the Experts presentation with Dan Kellogg, Executive Chef, March 14, 2012. Read more: Healthy Lunches: Eat This, Not That
A Family Center Ask the Experts presentation with Lori J. Warner, Ph.D. and Kim Steggles, M.A., March 7, 2012. Read more: Sleep Struggles with Infants and Toddlers